The "wagon wheel" petticoats of these dancers from Moscow Music Hall hark back to some costumes from the Paradis Latin show of around 1990. The original video in 1080p can be seen at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrItN4-tRVQ
Moscow Music Hall's sites are:
http://premiere.music-hall.ru/
https://www.facebook.com/msk.music.hall#!/msk.music.hall


At Cancan Favorites, David Price commented:
ReplyDeleteThese are in fact even closer to the costumes of the Moulin Rouge in the 1970s.
I struggled to find a photo - the only one I could find was on this site, a
little way down on the right on this page but you need to register to see a
better resolution.
http://www.showbizfriends.com/index.php?categoryid=45&p2_articleid=48
No doubt with your ability at discovering images you'll be able to find more.
I'm not sure which Moulin Rouge show it was - Fantastic, or Festival perhaps.
David
At Cancan Favorites Barbebleu commented:
ReplyDeleteDavid,
You are right that it was the Moulin Rouge. I had thought that initially and looked around for some photos to confirm it but had no
luck. Then I found a similar set of costumes from the Paradis Latin in pink and black and mistakenly thought my recollection must have been of them.
I finally did manage to find several images of the red/gold costumes,including a larger version of the one you discovered, but they are
pretty rare for some reason:
http://www.showbizfriends.com/plugins/p2000_image_gallery/images/2235.jpg
http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/0000235223-001/formidable-at-the-moulin-rouge
http://www.wpintertrade.com/event/moulin2.jpg
The show was "Formidable" which ran from 1989 to 1999. I am sure these costumes were around at the outset of Formidable, but I don't think
these costumes survived for the entire run. Later examples show them in the more familiar red/white costumes with concentric ruffles on the petticoats:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r466ZTda3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmMeU3McM8c
By way of interest, there is also an image from the Formidable show of a dancer kitted out La Goulue style (externally at least) as interpreted by John Huston's costume designer in the 1952 Moulin Rouge:
http://static.qobuz.com/images/jaquettes/0806/0806417200435_600.jpg
Thanks for weighing in, BB